Three volunteers are required for this shift. The shift is from 9:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.
After arriving, sign in and make yourself a name tag – first name only.
There should be at least 3 overnight volunteers (male and female)
- At least one volunteer host must be awake throughout the night; arrange a sleeping schedule with the other volunteer host(s).
- Feel free to interact with the guests.
- Put away any snack food that may be left out.
- You may be asked to provide early wake-up calls.
- Doors are to remain locked until the morning crew arrives.
- Plan to stay at least until the morning crew arrives.
- Launder soiled towels, washcloths, and linens. Restock clean towels and washcloths in the shower rooms and clean linens in the upstairs storage room
- Electronic devices: Guests can bring electronic devices (cell phones, iPads, computers, etc.) to the GCHH Program. The guest must show respect for the other guests and volunteers when using these devices. Taking photos is prohibited. Usage is allowed in the sleeping areas if it is not disruptive to other guests. If usage is disruptive, the guest will be asked to give up the device for the night. GCHH does not assume responsibility for any devices a guest might bring to the GCHH Program
Medications: All prescription and over-the-counter medications, must be turned in to the GCHH Staff upon entering the shelter—except for emergency medications, such as nitroglycerine, inhalers, etc.—to be deposited in the lockbox overnight. Plastic bags will be available to guests as needed for storing their medications. Guests may access their medications at the shelter by asking the GCHH manager or Shift Leader to get the medications from the lockbox. Medications may be returned to guests in the morning before they leave for the day, at the guest’s request. Guests may leave any or all medications in the lockbox with the combination lock. GCHH is not responsible for medications left at the shelter. Marijuana is not permitted into the shelter. This includes use for medicinal purposes.
- In case of emergency, call 911 (follow-up can be made with an GCHH staff afterward).
- Supervised Tobacco/Vaping Breaks: An GCHH
manager or designee must accompany guests on the supervised outdoor tobacco
use/vaping breaks. These take place once
an hour on the half-hour from 7:30 until 10:30 p.m. Guests must utilize the smoking shelter during
this time. Guests should also keep their voices down in consideration of neighbors while out on these breaks.
- Lights out at 10:30 pm. Guests need to be at their cots at 10:30p.m. so that other guests’ sleep is not interrupted by individuals streaming in to bed all hours of the night. Those who wish to participate in the final 10:30p.m. smoking break may do so and then go to bed. The overnight volunteers also need to be able to begin resting in shifts if they so choose. Any guest who remains awake must not be disruptive to other guests.
- No food or beverages will be provided between 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.