Two volunteers are required for this shift. The shift is from 1:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Upon arrival please do the following:
- Masks must be worn while in the shelter but may be removed while in the volunteer lounge if only volunteers are present.
- Review the self-health-screening questions at the check-in desk.
- Have a present volunteer take your temperature with a provided thermometer. You’ll be asked to do the same for them when your relief arrives.
- Sign in and make yourself a name tag – first name only.
- Do your best to follow social distancing recommendations.
- Provide guests access to their medications as necessary; feel free to encourage guests to get their medications together.
- Shower and laundry facilities are available to guests on a sign-up basis. Only those who have signed up should use these facilities and they should do so only at the time they have requested. The sign-up sheets are located on the wall outside the volunteer lounge.
- If guests desire to eat a mid-day meal, individually wrapped food items are available to guests on the buffet table. Ensure that it is well stocked. Items are stored in the kitchen. Also ensure hand sanitizer is available at the buffet table. All guests and volunteers much sanitize their hands each time they approach the table before touching anything.
- No food or beverages permitted in the guests’ room, with the exception of provided water bottles.
- Guests are permitted into the shelter office area waiting room if they need to speak with staff or have an appointment.
- Guests are encouraged to remain in their rooms as much as possible; guests who chose to leave are not to be permitted re-entry to the shelter until they have been checked in at either the afternoon (completed by staff when school bus arrives) or evening check-in times.
- Entry doors are to remain locked; be sure to listen for the next crew to arrive. Guests are not to use the door the main shelter entry (green door) during this time.
- When staff is present, guests who desire to go
outside to smoke must exit through the office area and remain outside that
entry. We will consider any guest who
leaves that area to have left for the day. They will not be permitted re-entry
- When staff is not present guests may an GCHH manager or volunteer must accompany guests on the supervised outdoor tobacco use/vaping breaks. These take place once an hour on the half-hour.
- Remember that GCHH Managers are your resource people for questions and concerns. Please do not hesitate to call them for clarification and support. Their contact information will be provided to volunteers.