Two volunteers are required for this shift. The shift is from 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Upon arrival please do the following:
- Masks must be worn while in the shelter but may be removed while in the volunteer lounge if only volunteers are present.
- Review the self-health-screening questions at the check-in desk.
- Have a present volunteer take your temperature with a provided thermometer. You’ll be asked to do the same for them when your relief arrives.
- Sign in and make yourself a name tag – first name only.
- Do your best to follow social distancing recommendations.
Help with check-in in the following ways
- Be prepared to sign-in those guests who left during the day at 6:00 p.m.
- A GCHH manager will be present during check-in. They or a trained volunteer will administer a breathalyzer to guests being checked-in, over the age of 18.
- A volunteer will check-in each guest and will provide them with a name tag. First name only.
- 1 Trained volunteer host will search all bags, purses, coats, etc. and will conduct a contactless, visual search of guests in the Gathering Place. This will be done one guest at a time.
- The entry door is locked by the GCHH Manager at 7pm or once the guests arrive. No guest is to be admitted to the shelter after the doors are locked. Exceptions can be made with prior notification and approval of their late arrival by the GCHH staff.
- Guests may access their vehicle ONLY when supervised by GCHH Managers or a volunteer supervisor.
- Supervised Tobacco/Vaping Breaks: An GCHH manager or designee must accompany guests on the supervised outdoor tobacco use/vaping breaks. These take place once an hour on the half-hour from 7:30 until 10:30 p.m.
- Medications: All prescription medications, must be turned in to the GCHH Managers upon entering the shelter—except for emergency medications, such as nitroglycerine, inhalers, etc.—to be deposited in the lockbox overnight. Plastic bags will be available to guests as needed for storing their medications. Guests may access their medications at the shelter by asking the GCHH manager or Shift Leader to get the medications from the medicine cabinet. Medications may be returned to guests in the morning before they leave for the day, at the guest’s request. Guests may leave any or all medications in the medicine cabinet. GCHH is not responsible for medications left at the shelter. Marijuana is not permitted into the shelter. This includes use for medicinal purposes.
- Guests are encouraged to remain in their rooms as much as possible
- Ensure hand sanitizer is available at the buffet table. All guests and volunteers must sanitize their hands each time they approach the table before touching anything.
- Dinner is served at 6:30p.m. It will arrive from the kitchen in reusable to-go containers. One meal for each guest and volunteer will be provided. Guests are permitted one meal.
- Used containers should be placed wiped clean and in the soiled meal-container bin to be washed by the kitchen staff.
- Following dinner, the kitchen should be closed. Individually wrapped food items are available to guests on the buffet table and may be left out.
- No food or beverages permitted in the guests’ room, with the exception of provided water bottles.
- Remember that GCHH Managers are your resource people for questions and concerns. Please do not hesitate to ask them for clarification and support.