Three volunteers are required for this shift. The shift is from 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
After arriving, sign in and make yourself a name tag – first name only.
Help with Intake in the following ways:
● Be prepared to sign guests in at 6:00 p.m.
● A GCHH manager will be present during check-in.
● A volunteer will check-in each guest and will provide them with a name tag. First name only.
● 2 Trained volunteer hosts will search all bags, purses, coats, etc. and will ask guests to turnout pockets, remove shoes, etc. in the
Volunteer Lounge. This will be done one guest at a time.
● Assist in welcoming guests when they arrive; make sure they know where the restrooms, sleeping area and dining areas are.
● Doors are to be locked by the GCHH staff once the guests arrive. No guest is to be admitted to the shelter after the doors are locked.
Exceptions can be made with prior notification and approval of their late arrival by the GCHH staff.
● Guests may access their vehicle during ONLY when supervised by staff.
● Supervised Tobacco/Vaping Breaks: An GCHH staff or designee must accompany guests on the supervised outdoor tobacco
use/vaping breaks. These take place once an hour on the half-hour from 7:30 until 10:30 p.m. Guests must utilize the smoking
shelter during this time. Guests should also keep their voices down in consideration of neighbors while out on these breaks.
● Medications: All prescription and over-the-counter medications, must be turned in to the GCHH Staff upon entering the shelter—except for emergency medications, such as nitroglycerine, inhalers, etc.—to be deposited in the lockbox overnight. Plastic bags will be available to guests as needed for storing their medications. Guests may access their medications at the shelter by asking the GCHH staff to get the medications from the lockbox. Medications may be returned to guests in the morning before they leave for the day, at the guest’s request. Guests may leave any or all medications in the lockbox with the combination lock. GCHH is not responsible for medications left at the shelter. Marijuana is not permitted into the shelter. This includes use for medicinal purposes.
● Remainder of the Evening: Once sign-in has finished, please join the guests for dinner and visit with them. After dinner, card games,
board games, watching movies and conversation with the guests are strongly encouraged.
● Remember that GCHH Managers are your resource people for questions and concerns. Please do not hesitate to ask them for
clarification and support.