Two volunteers are required for this shift. The shift is
from 9:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.
Upon arrival please do the following:
- Masks must be worn while in the shelter but may be removed while in the volunteer lounge if only volunteers are present.
- Review the self-health-screening questions at the check-in desk.
- Have a present volunteer take your temperature with a provided thermometer. You’ll be asked to do the same for them when your relief arrives.
- Sign in and make yourself a name tag – first name only.
- Do your best to follow social distancing recommendations.
- At least one volunteer host must be awake throughout the night; you may arrange a sleeping schedule with the other volunteer.
- Feel free to interact with the guests.
- You may be asked to provide early wake-up calls.
- Entry doors are to remain locked; be sure to listen for the next crew to arrive.
- Plan to stay at least until the morning crew arrives.
- Shower and laundry facilities are available to guests on a sign-up basis. Only those who have signed up should use these facilities and they should do so only at the time they have requested. The sign-up sheets are located on the wall outside the volunteer lounge.
- Guests are encouraged to remain in their rooms as much as possible.
- No food or beverages permitted in the guests’ room, with the exception of the provided water bottles.
- Launder soiled towels, washcloths, and linens. Restock clean towels and washcloths in the shower rooms and clean linens in the upstairs storage room
- Electronic devices: Guests can bring electronic devices (cell phones, iPads, computers, etc.) to GCHH. The guest must show respect for the other guests and volunteers when using these devices. Taking photos is prohibited. Usage is allowed in the sleeping areas if it is not disruptive to other guests. If usage is disruptive, the guest will be asked to give up the device for the night. GCHH does not assume responsibility for any devices a guest might bring to the GCHH shelter.
- Medications: All prescription medications, must be turned in to the GCHH Managers upon entering the shelter—except for emergency medications, such as nitroglycerine, inhalers, etc.—to be deposited in the medicine cabinet overnight. Plastic bags will be available to guests as needed for storing their medications. Guests may access their medications at the shelter by asking the GCHH manager or Shift Leader to get the medications from the lockbox. Medications may be returned to guests in the morning before they leave for the day, at the guest’s request. Guests may leave any or all medications in the lockbox. GCHH is not responsible for medications left at the shelter. Marijuana is not permitted into the shelter. This includes use for medicinal purposes.
- In case of emergency, call 911 (follow-up can be made with an GCHH Manager afterward).
- Supervised Tobacco/Vaping Breaks: An GCHH manager or designee must accompany guests on the supervised outdoor tobacco use/vaping breaks. These take place once an hour on the half-hour from 7:30 until 10:30 p.m.
- Lights out at 10:30 pm. Guests need to be at their cots at 10:30p.m. so that other guests’ sleep is not interrupted by individuals streaming in to bed all hours of the night. Those who wish to participate in the final 10:30p.m. smoking break may do so and then go to bed. The overnight volunteers also need to be able to begin resting in shifts if they so choose. Any guest who remains awake must not be disruptive to other guests.
- No food or beverages permitted in the guests’ room.